Current:Home > ScamsBurley Garcia|Dan Schneider sues 'Quiet on Set' producers for defamation, calls docuseries 'a hit job' -Capitatum
Burley Garcia|Dan Schneider sues 'Quiet on Set' producers for defamation, calls docuseries 'a hit job'
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 13:24:50
Dan Schneider,Burley Garcia the showrunner of some of Nickelodeon's biggest shows who was one of the subjects of "Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV," is suing the ID docuseries' producers for defamation.
According to a copy of the lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court and obtained by USA TODAY Wednesday, Schneider, 58, alleges "Quiet on Set's" portrayal of him "is a hit job" that implied Schneider "sexually abused the children who worked on his television shows."
"While it is indisputable that two bona fide child sexual abusers worked on Nickelodeon shows, it is likewise indisputable that Schneider had no knowledge of their abuse, was not complicit in the abuse, condemned the abuse once it was discovered and, critically, was not a child sexual abuser himself," the complaint states. "Defendants have destroyed Schneider’s reputation and legacy through the false statements and implications that Schneider is exactly that."
USA TODAY has contacted representatives for defendants Warner Brothers Discovery, Maxine Productions and Sony Pictures Television for comment.
Our critic's review:'Quiet on Set' doc on Nickelodeon scandal exposes the high price of kids TV
Dan Schneider says he regrets his behavior, denies involvement in 'horrific crimes'
In the original four episodes of "Quiet on Set," Schneider was accused of inappropriate behavior on his Nickelodeon shows, including asking female employees for massages on set. Some also argued that the shows he worked on featured disturbing sexual innuendos, not suitable for young viewers.
In a statement shared with USA TODAY Wednesday, Schneider said, "After seeing 'Quiet on Set 'and its Trailer, and the reactions to them, I sadly have no choice but to take legal action against the people behind it.
"In their successful attempt to mislead viewers and increase ratings, they went beyond reporting the truth and falsely implied that I was involved in or facilitated horrific crimes for which actual child predators have been prosecuted and convicted."
He added, "I have no objection to anyone highlighting my failures as a boss, but it is wrong to mislead millions of people to the false conclusion that I was in any way involved in heinous acts like those committed by child predators. I owe it to myself, my family, and the many wonderful people involved in making these shows to set the record straight."
Who's in 'Quiet on Set'?These Nickelodeon stars spoke up about their experiences
Schneider, who addressed the "Quiet on Set" allegations in March by expressing regret over some of his actions, admitted in his filing, "At times, he was blind to the pain that some of his behaviors caused certain colleagues, subordinates, and cast members. He will regret and atone for this behavior the rest of his life."
The filing adds, "But one thing he is not—and the one thing that will forever mar his reputation and career both past and present—is a child sexual abuser."
What happened in 'Quiet on Set'?
"Quiet on Set," a four-part docuseries that premiered March 17, shined a light on a multitude of allegations from child actors and members of production who claim they experienced abuse, sexism, racism, inappropriate friendships between adults and children and more while working for Schneider's shows.
In the third episode, Drake Bell came forward as the sexual abuse victim of former Nickelodeon dialogue coach Brian Peck. Peck was arrested in August 2003 and convicted in 2004 on charges of lewd acts with a child that stemmed from a 2001 incident. Bell had not previously disclosed himself as the plaintiff in that case.
Peck was convicted of lewd acts with a minor in 2004 and sentenced to 16 months in prison.
On April 7, a fifth episode was released and featured new interviews with the original participants, plus one with a former child star who came forward for the first time. Toward the end of the episode, former "All That" star Shane Lyons alleged Peck made "passes" at him while he was on the show.
Schneider created Nickelodeon programs "The Amanda Show," "Drake & Josh," "Zoey 101," "iCarly," "Victorious" and more. He previously rose in the rankings for his writing on "All That," "Good Burger" and "Kenan & Kel."
If you are a survivor of sexual assault, RAINN offers support through the National Sexual Assault Hotline (800.656.HOPE and online.rainn.org).
Contributing: Naledi Ushe, Brendan Morrow
veryGood! (62)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Missing sailor found adrift in Atlantic Ocean reunited with family at Coast Guard base
- Kim Kardashian Turns Heads With New Blonde Hair on GQ Men of the Year Red Carpet
- FedEx mistakenly delivers $20,000 worth of lottery tickets to Massachusetts woman's home
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Convicted sex offender found guilty of hacking jumbotron at the Jacksonville Jaguars’ stadium
- Nation's top auto safety regulator misses deadline on potentially life-saving new rules for vehicle seats
- Georgia prosecutor seeks August trial date for Trump and others in election case
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- At Formula One’s inaugural Las Vegas Grand Prix, music takes a front seat
Ranking
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Bill Cosby accuser files new lawsuit under expiring New York survivors law
- Water valve cover on Las Vegas Grand Prix course halts first practice of the weekend
- Union workers at Stellantis move closer to approving contract that would end lengthy labor dispute
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Alexa PenaVega Is Pregnant, Expecting Baby No. 4 With Carlos PenaVega
- Judge finds Voting Rights Act violation in North Dakota redistricting for two tribes
- High-ranking Mormon church leader Russell Ballard remembered as examplar of the faith
Recommendation
Could your smelly farts help science?
US, partners condemn growing violence in Sudan’s Darfur region
How the US strikes a delicate balance in responding to attacks on its forces by Iran-backed militias
Japan, China agree on a constructive relationship, but reach only vague promises in seafood dispute
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
George 'Funky' Brown, Kool & The Gang co-founder and drummer, dies at 74
Empty vehicle on tracks derails Chicago-bound Amtrak train in Michigan
Dwyane Wade Reveals the Secret to His and Gabrielle Union's Successful Marriage